Butternut Squash Bisque Shooters Recipe:
- 2 ½ cups butternut squash or other squash
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, rough
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- ¼ cup sherry wine
- 4 cups water (1 L)
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- Toasted Pumpkin seed oil as drizzle as garnish (optional)
- Toasted pumpkin seeds as garnish (optional)
- Parsley, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Begin heating a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Remove the seedbed of the butternut squash (see video for example) and then peel the squash.
- Cut the peeled squash into medium-sized cubes. You’ll be blending this in a later step, so just small enough to help the squash cook faster. Bigger pieces = longer cooking time.
- Peel the onion and give it a rough chop. Again, you’ll be blending this so it doesn’t need to be perfect.
- Peel the garlic and again rough chop.
- Add about 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the pot, then add the onions, garlic, and fresh thyme. Sauté until they get a bit of color.
- Once the garlic and onions are looking good, add the squash. Sauté for a few more minutes until the squash starts to lightly brown. The key here is that you’re building layers of flavor for your butternut squash bisque, so you want the squash to cook down a bit.
- Once the squash has picked up some color, add the sherry to deglaze. Stirring frequently, let the sherry bubble away until it has reduced by about half.
- Add the water and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the squash is tender and the liquid has reduced by about half.
- Remove from heat.
- Using a hand blender, blend the mixture until about half smooth. You want to keep it on the rustic side for now and then we’ll add some seasonings. ( Alternatively, you can transfer the mixture into a blender to blend if you don’t have a hand blender.)
- Add a pinch or two of sea salt (to taste) and a Tbsp of vegan butter.
- Continue blending the mixture, incorporating the salt and butter until the mixture is silky smooth.
- Now you’re ready to serve your butternut squash bisque shooters recipe! If you’re serving in a bowl, go ahead and serve it as hot as you’d normally serve soup. If you’re serving as a shooter in shot glasses as seen in the video and photos, WARNING: LET THE SOUP COOL quite a bit before pouring into the glasses and serving. You really don’t want to pour boiling hot soup into thin glass containers!
- As an option, garnish with a drizzle of pumpkin seed oil, parsley, and pumpkin seeds.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @eatwickedfoods on Instagram and hashtag it #eatwickedfoods
We’ve got Wicked merch! Head to the Wicked Healthy Store!
Want more inspiration? Check out our Wicked Healthy YouTube Channel!
Get pinning! We’re over here on Pinterest.
Keywords: butternut squash bisque shooters recipe