“Chicken Fried” Mushroom Steak Vegan
December 7, 2020
No-chicken fried mushroom steaks are on the menu today! An all-plant alternative to your favourite, crispy, breaded comfort food steaks, complete with creamy shredded mushroom gravy. We use the exact same techniques with ‘shrooms as we did with meat in our kitchens back in the day, there’s no need to kill sh*t for flavour, as this recipe proves!
- Mushroom Steaks: How To Mushroom Steaks Blog
- Eryngii/King Oyster mushrooms, shredded
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 5 cups baby spinach
- 3/4 cup vegan mayo
- 1 T Vegan butter
- 3/4 cup Oatly or other plant-based milk
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 1 TBSP peppercorns, ground in pestle and mortar
- Red jalapeno, sliced to garnish
- Fresh thyme, to garnish
- Black pepper
- Oil (enough to coat pan with 1 cm oil)
- Mashed potato: How To Mashed Potatoes Blog
- Whisk vegan mayo with oat milk until it replicates egg and cream consistency.
- Heat a cast-iron pan and add oil, swirl to coat the surface.
- Mix flour in a bowl with smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano powder, nutritional yeast, black pepper and salt.
- Coat steaks with seasoned flour and set aside on a baking paper lined baking sheet.
- Add panko to flour and mix.
- Take steak and dip into the milk and mayo mixture, drip off excess liquid and dip into flour and panko mix and set aside on plate. Repeat with each steak.
- Place steaks in the hot pan and fry for a minute or two on each side until crispy and golden. Place to drip dry on folded paper towels on a baking sheet.
- Discard some of the oil from the pan (leave a good amount for frying) and add the shredded mushrooms to the pan. Season with onion powder, garlic powder, ground peppercorns and smoked paprika. Stir thoroughly with whisk to coat and add sliced garlic. Add a little flour and whisk again. Add oat milk to create a gravy/roux sauce, keep whisking. Add vegan butter and whisk again as it bubbles. Add pinch of salt and lower heat. Taste and season accordingly.
- Heat up another pan on a high heat and add a little oil and wilt baby spinach, turning occasionally in pan. When wilted, remove from pan and turn off heat.
- Serve breaded steak with mashed potato, wilted spinach and gravy. Garnish with red jalapeno and fresh thyme.
- Serve and enjoy!
Love our recipes? Join the Mushroom Mafia! Check out our Wicked Healthy Merch and become a Plant-Pusher!
Want more inspiration? Check out our Wicked Healthy YouTube Channel!
Get pinning! We’re over here on the Wicked Recipes Pinterest.
Keywords: chicken fried mushroom steak vegan