TOMATO PHYLLO PIZZA
July 22, 2020
An oh-so flaky pastry pizza crust, for those lighter days where you don’t fancy being weighed down by a regular pizza. In our Tomato Phyllo Pizza, we go for heirloom tomatoes for this recipe giving it a burst of delicious flavor! An alfresco dining dream for a summer’s evening with a glass of vegan wine and a side of our Summer Carpaccio.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 4 heirloom tomatoes, cored and sliced
- 1 tsp flaked salt
- 1 C vegan ricotta, our favorite is Kite Hill if not making it yourself
- 1/2 C vegan cream cheese, our favorites are Kite Hill or Follow Your Heart, if not making yourself
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 T shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 T olive oil, or melted vegan butter
- Vegan phyllo pastry, found in the frozen section
- Few sprigs of fresh thyme
- Arugula, tossed in a drizzle of olive oil, pinch of sea salt, black pepper and squeeze lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350f/180c .
- Place tomato slices on a kitchen towel lined baking tray, sprinkle tsp flaked salt on tomatoes. Flip after 15 mins. This will help drain a bit of the water from the tomatoes.
- Mix ricotta, cream cheese, nutritional yeast, garlic, shallot, lemon zest and lemon juice with a little salt and pepper, stir to combine. Add a little water to thin it out.
- Line baking tray with parchment paper and brush with oil/vegan butter.
- Take full sheet of filo and lightly brush with oil, fold over with oiled sides facing together, then oil surface and fold again. Repeat with 8 layers. This is your pizza base. Roll up and ruffle pastry to create a crust around the outer layer.
Spread ricotta in the centre of each filo sheet, layer tomatoes on top, drizzle a little oil and add a little fresh thyme, black pepper and sea salt.
- Cook in oven for 30 mins. Tomatoes should be slightly wilted and crust slightly golden.
- Slice pizza in half, plate up, sprinkle a little salt and top with fresh arugula, lightly tossed with oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice.