Spicy Strawberry Cobbler Cocktail
January 1, 2020
A cobbler is a classic American dessert – but it’s also an American cocktail served with fresh fruit, ice and a straw. In a sly combination of the two, the base of this drink is a strawberry shrub, a sort of lightly fermented fruit smash made with drinking vinegar. You’re just a few stirs away from a delicious cocktail infusion celebration, crafted by our middle Sarno brother, Darren!
- Prep Time: 1 day
- Cook Time: 2 min
- Total Time: 24 hours 2 minutes
- Yield: 1 drink 1x
- Category: cocktail
Strawberry Quick Shrub
- 1 3/4 cup, halved fresh strawberries
- ½ red thai chili pepper (if you like it spicy)
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- ¼ cup agave syrup
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
Black Pepper Vanilla Whiskey
- 12 ounces small-batch bourbon whiskey
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 scored vanilla beans
(Seal in a Mason jar for 12 to 36 hours)
- Soda water
- Fresh lemon peel
- Mash the strawberries, chili, sugar and agave syrup in a bowl until mushy, yet chunky.
- Let sit for 1 hour.
- Then stir with 1 cup apple cider vinegar, cover with plastic wrap, and ferment at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Strain and use immediately, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 10 days.
- Pour whisky and strawberry shrub over ice, stir and add soda water and lemon rind.
If you’re serving more than one drink, just double or triple (or quadruple!) the amounts.
If you’re new to the cocktail game, grab a vegetable peeler. It’s the best tool for making a citrus swatch, which is a wide strip of citrus zest cut from the peel. The thin blade of the peeler lets you strip off a wide swath of the aromatic citrus zest without the bitter white pith underneath.
You can find more of Darren’s Infusion Cocktails in our ‘Wicked Healthy Cookbook’. Cheers!
Keywords: spicy cocktail recipe, fruit cocktail recipe