King Oyster Mushroom Vegan Gravy
December 18, 2019
Don’t underestimate the power of an awesome gravy! There’s nothing standard about this – we’ve upped the ante with lashings of pulled King Oysters, creating a punchy, bold flavour and a texture that adds star quality to any roast. Goes well with everything, be generous!
- Yield: 8 cups 1x
- 6 each King Oyster Mushrooms, shredded (technique shown at time [6:40] on video recipe)
- 8 Cups, or 2 Litres, water or low sodium veg broth (optional)
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 T Wicked Sage, Onion, Garlic spice blend
- 1 bunch fresh sage
- 1 T oil
- 1 t black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Cap full of Gravy Browning Season (optional)
- Coarse salt to taste
- 1 T ground black pepper
- 2 T plant-based butter
- ¼ cup flour (Roux)
- 3 TBS plant-based Butter (Roux)
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F (on convection if possible)
- Shred mushrooms, and then heat up cast iron pan until wicked hot. Add oil, and saute mushrooms.
- As mushrooms cook, add Wicked Sage, Onion, and Garlic spice blend, a pinch of salt, and black pepper.
- Allow mushrooms to cook down until they start to wilt and crisp up, then place cast iron in oven until mushrooms crispy and golden, about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from oven and stir in 1 tablespoon of plant-based butter.
Roux to gravy
- In medium saucepan on medium heat, melt the butter, add in flour and whisk together. Cook for a couple minutes. Add in tablespoon of the sage, onion, garlic spice blend, and some fresh sage, and continue whisking.
- Slowly ladle in water while whisking together (prevent lumps) until all broth is added and thickened. Add a bay leaf.
- Bring back to simmering boil stirring often then lower heat to low setting and cook an additional 15 minutes stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Taste and add a pinch more seasoning as needed and browning color seasoning (optional and add less to start with – mixing in before adding more, until desired color is achieved) .
- Add mushrooms to gravy and switch pot to low heat.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- For extra rich and glossy gravy whisk in an additional pad of butter towards the end.
- Add potato water to gravy if it is getting too thick
- Add 1 TBS of fresh thyme at the end.
- The shredded mushrooms can be tossed with oil and seasonings and roasted until crispy brown then added to gravy for a deeper-richer flavor.
Keywords: vegan gravy, mushroom gravy