BBQ Vegan Pulled ‘Pork’ Sandwich
June 20, 2019
This is how we do it in the Wicked Kitchen – a Vegan Pulled Pork Sandwich, coming right up! You don’t have to sacrifice your favourite backyard BBQ when you go vegan. Leave the animals alone and grab some shrooms instead – we swear you’ll barely taste the difference (in fact, we think you might just like it more!). Today we’re pulling the hell out of some Eryngii mushrooms for some saucy, beer infused, vegan BBQ Pulled ‘Pork’ Style mega sandwiches in toasted, squishy buns. They’re heaven in a roll and served up with a side of crispy potatoes with a black pepper kick. Get on board!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: Less than 30 minutes
- Yield: 2
- 6 Eryngii mushrooms, ‘pulled’
- 1 dozen small potatoes, halved
- 1 regular size bottle BBQ Sauce
- 3 tbs beer
- 2 soft burger buns
- Fresh parsley to garnish
- 3 tbsp ‘pork’ seasoning blend (sage and onion)
- 1/2 tsp Salt, flakes
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp vegan butter
- 4 tbsp sunflower/veg oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c (fan) / 275f convection or 400f bake.
- Shred the mushrooms by running a fork along the fibres, away from the cap. Pull apart with fingers and place in a large bowl.
- Add BBQ sauce to small bowl and whisk in splash of beer (optional).
- In the large bowl of mushrooms shreds, add granulated garlic, ‘pork’ seasoning, salt and pepper and toss to coat evenly. Heat cast-iron pan on med-high heat until hot, add oil. Add seasoned shrooms and cook until brown on all sides, stirring occasionally. Once the mushrooms are hot and crispy, transfer them back to the bowl and add BBQ sauce, stir to coat evenly. Place sauced shreds onto parchment lined baking tray, spread out evenly and roast for 10-15 minutes until browned and caramelized and cooked well, stir mid way if needed to evenly cook.
- Place the halved potatoes into large bowl, add a touch of oil, salt, granulated garlic, black pepper and toss to coat. Add additional oil to the hot skillet, then add the potatoes in face down to brown and cook for about 3 – 4 minutes. Turn over potatoes, they should be crispy and golden brown on the flat side, then place pan in the oven and roast for 10-12 minutes until potatoes are done, when you can pierce with a fork easily.
- Butter rolls lightly on each open-faced side and place on hot skillet for 1-2 minutes to grill until golden brown on the bottom.
- Assemble sandwiches. All the extras, optional!
Keywords: vegan, vegan pulled pork, vegan recipe, easy vegan recipe, wicked healthy, derek sarno, chad sarno