HARISSA CELERY ROOT BURGER
January 23, 2018
The mighty celery root! One of the lesser known and highly underrated veggies. It’s also called celeriac, so you might find it by that name as well. You might remember the Celeriac Monster Pot Roast + Cold Cuts—this time we’ll be carving up that celeriac to make burgers!
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 medium-sized celery root, cleaned, skin removed and sliced into (4) slabs
for the marinade
- 2 medium fresh cooked beets (boiled or roasted)
- 1 T beet juice (reserve liquid from from cooking)
- 4–5 T Harissa paste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 C water
- 2 bay leaves
- pinch of sea salt, coarse grind
- pinch of black pepper
- handful green Thai chili peppers
- few mint leaves
- 1 C oil
to assemble and serve
- 1 T plant-based butter
- 4 burger buns
- 1 T plant-based mayo
- 2 leaves romaine lettuce
- onion slices
- Harissa sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F/176°C.
- Place celery root slices onto a baking sheet.
for the marinade and sauce
- Place all marinade ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend. Do not clean out the blender yet.
- Pour the marinade into the baking dish to cover celery root slices.
- Add bay leaves, pinch of sea salt, pepper, green chilis and mint leaves.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes or until until sauce is bubbling, and the celery root starts to brown around the edges.
- Return to your blender and start drizzling the oil in slowly on medium speed. The oil will mix with the leftover beet harissa. Continue to drizzle, turning up the speed to high once all of the oil is drizzled into the blender. Continue blending the mixture for an additional 30 seconds to emulsify.
- Pour into small bowl and set aside as extra sauce for sandwiches.
to assemble and serve
- During the last 10 minutes of baking, toast or grill your buns with the plant-based butter in a hot cast iron pan.
- Spread mayo on both top and bottom buns.
- To the bottom bun, add lettuce, celery burger, onion slices and Harissa sauce. Serve immediately.
We’re roasting thick slab cuts of Celeriac in a spicy beet harissa paste for color and tons of delicious flavor.
Full of punchy attitude and texture, these burgers bring an entirely different experience to the burger game.
Soft, chewy and amazing, you can get as creative as you want with the toppings or stick to some classics like we did.
Celery root comes in all shapes and sizes so get creative with cut sizes and shapes, and enjoy playing with this one.
Hungry for more? Sign up at Veganuary (click on the logo below) for daily wicked healthy recipes, tips and resources, delivered straight to your inbox!