- 2 Cluster Brown Oyster Mushrooms, de-stemmed
- Cucumber slice pickles, diced
- ‘Hots’ Thai Red Chillies, finely sliced
- Baguette, halved and sliced to make a sub
- ½ an onion, julienned
- Vegan mayo
- Follow Your Heart Gouda cheese, slices
- Coarse salt
- Granulated garlic
- Preheat oven 200c/400 convection.
- Heat a large cast-iron pan over a medium-high heat until very hot, about 2 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of oil, swirling to coat the pan. Add mushrooms bottom side (stem side) down in the pan and press down with a second cast iron pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes, then remove.
- Take a towel to wipe the bottom of the pressing pan, turn over mushroom steaks, repeating again on the other side. Remove pressing pan and add salt, pepper and granulated garlic on top of the mushrooms. Add a little more oil and turn to cook for 3-5 minutes. Season the other side with salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Keep flipping until golden brown on both sides.
- Move mushrooms to the side of the pan, add onions to other side, seasoned with salt and pepper. Transfer pan to oven, to cook for 15 minutes.
- Assemble subs – spread mayo on both sides, add cheese slices, chopped mushroom steak, crispy onions, pickles and chilis. Pop in the oven for a couple minutes until cheese has melted and the bread is lightly toasted.
Want more inspiration? Check out our Wicked Healthy YouTube Channel!
Get pinning! We’re over here on our Wicked Healthy Pinterest Page.
Keywords: Vegan Cheese Steak Recipe