Vegan Party Food! Jackfruit BBQ Sliders
March 22, 2021
Get a roll of paper towels and dive in. Sticky, spicy BBQ sauce, creamy sriracha mayo, crunchy slaw, and sour pickles… these little jackfruit BBQ sliders have got it going on. And the jackfruit—if you haven’t tried it yet, get ready for one of the chewiest, most satisfying plant foods out there. It falls apart in shreds just like you want it to in a sloppy, saucy sandwich. Delicious!
For the Jackfruit BBQ Sliders
- 3 1/2 cups green jackfruit
- 1 large white onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 18 oz/510g Smoky BBQ Sauce, store-bought or homemade (here’s a recipe for Chad’s Wicked Spicy BBQ Sauce)
- 1–2 tbsp sriracha (more for burger sauce)
- Vegetable stock
- Spicy dill pickles
- Vegan mayo
- 3 cups cabbage
- 8 to 10 soft, squishy, slider-sized buns, toasted if you like
- Drain the jackfruit and gently break it apart into shreds in a bowl using your hands, pulling out any seeds and removing any tough pieces. Drain the jackfruit and gently break it apart into shreds in a bowl using your hands, pulling out any seeds and removing any tough pieces.
- Turn on the heat under a pan. While you wait for it to heat up, finely dice the onion and crush and mince the garlic. Add a little olive oil to the pan, followed by the onion, allow it to turn translucent, stirring often, before adding the garlic. Add jackfruit before the onion and garlic start to brown. Allow the mixture to sit, until it sticks. Use a wooden spoon to stir thoroughly.
- Add bbq sauce and sriracha (according to your heat level!), stir to coat, adding just a touch of vegetable stock to loosen up the sauce. Stir. Reduce heat to a low medium, cover and let it simmer, and braise for 15-20 minutes, checking frequently.
- Prep your burger extras! Slice the spicy dill pickles. Mix some vegan mayo with sriracha to make a bbq sauce. Finely slice cabbage using a mandoline, for a little extra crunch.
- Check the jackfruit, stirring through and removing the lid. The sauce should have reduced, but shouldn’t be sticking to the sides.
- To assemble, spoon a generous pile of BBQ jackfruit onto each bun and top with pickles, cabbage, and a drizzle of sriracha mayo. Sometimes we set everything out and let guests assemble the jackfruit BBQ slider sammies themselves.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @eatwickedfoods on Instagram and hashtag it #eatwickedfoods
Get pinning! We’re over here on Pinterest.
Keywords: jackfruit BBQ sliders sandwiches