Cashew Tofu Stir Fry Recipe
February 26, 2021
A delicious, quick tofu stir fry, packed with protein-rich tofu and fresh, crisp veggies. The sauce is fragrant and silky smooth – ideal for serving with steamed rice and perfect for scratching that “fakeaway” itch!
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
For the Sauce
- 2 tsp mushroom bouillon powder
- 2 tbsp shaoxing wine (or any chinese cooking wine)
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 11/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 40 ml water
For the Stir Fry
- 180g extra firm tofu
- 1 large carrot
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 green pepper
- 2 spring onions
- 65g raw unsalted cashews
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- a thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and cut into match-sticks
- (steamed rice and toasted white sesame seeds for serving)
To Make the Sauce
- Place all the sauce ingredients into a clean jar and replace the lid. Shake well until combined then set aside. (the sauce will separate while it sits, so be sure to shake it up again before adding to the wok later).
To Make the Stir Fry
- Wrap the block of tofu in a paper towel and place a heavy plate on top, to gently squeeze out any moisture. Leave to drain while you prepare the veggies – do not force the tofu or it will break apart. Once drained, slice the tofu into cubes.
- Peel the carrot and slice in half lengthways. Slice the carrot into ½ cm wedges on the diagonal. Slice the celery into long diagonal slices around ½ cm thick. Slice the green pepper into strips, around ½ cm thick. Slice the spring onions into 2cm lengths and discard the roots. Set the sliced veggies aside but keep them separate.
- Heat a dry wok or large frying pan over medium heat. Add the cashews and toast for a minute or so, tossing around in the pan regularly to make sure they don’t burn. When lightly browned and fragrant, remove from the pan and set aside.
- With the wok still on medium heat, add the oil and bring to temperature. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for a minute or two. Do not allow the garlic to burn.
- Add the drained tofu and stir to coat in the oil. Fry for two minutes before adding the carrots. You may need to add a few Tbsp water at this stage to make sure the tofu doesn’t start to stick to the wok.
- Next, add the celery and green pepper and stir fry for a further 2 minutes. Add the spring onions and stir fry for a further minute.
- Add the toasted cashews followed by the sauce (don’t forget to shake it up before adding). Stir well to coat everything with the sauce and immediately reduce the heat to low. The sauce should thicken quickly.
Serve the stir fry with steamed rice and a sprinkle of toasted white sesame seeds.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @eatwickedfoods on Instagram and hashtag it #eatwickedfoods
Want Wicked Foods in your area? Head here to ‘plant your flag’!
We’ve got Wicked merch! Head to the Wicked Healthy Store!
Want more inspiration? Check out our Wicked Healthy YouTube Channel!
Get pinning! We’re over here on Pinterest.
Keywords: cashew tofu stir fry
The sauce for this stir fry is super easy to throw together. I like to shake it all up in a jam jar at the start of the recipe so it’s ready to go once the veggies are cooked.
Be sure to chop your veggies up before you begin – it’s important to make sure they’re good to go as soon as your tofu is fried. Also, make sure they’re separated as you’ll be adding them in stages.
I like to toast my cashews in a dry wok but they can catch and burn very easily. You can also toast the cashews under the grill or in a low oven. Just watch them like a hawk, however you toast them, as they burn extremely quickly.
Serve the finished stir fry with steamed rice and toasted sesame seeds.