Party Food: Vegan Mushroom Tempura
December 16, 2020
A rallying cry out to our Mushroom Mafia! Check out our 1st party food recipe: vegan mushroom tempura! You can use any ‘shrooms you can get your hands on for this light and crispy Japanese appetizer. Adding soda water to your batter gives your tempura a lighter, delicious, delicate crunch. These vegan mushroom tempura are always a crowd-pleaser. Dipping sauce essential, Sriracha is a winner if you’re going for a kick!
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup (32g) cornstarch
- 1 TBSP toasted black sesame seeds
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 cup (235ml) soda water
- Mushrooms of choice or other vegetables
- High-heat cooking oil, suitable for frying
- Green onion, chopped for garnish
- Sriracha mayo
- Preheat at least 2 inches of fry oil in a pot, until it shimmers.
- Place dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together until combined.
- Slowly add soda water and whisk until you achieve a thinner, crepe-like batter.
- Slice mushrooms or vegetables. Dip vegetables in batter, shaking off excess.
- Using tongs, place one dipped mushroom in a pot of oil to see if it is hot enough.
- The mushroom should take about 2 minutes to fry, creating a crispy, see-through crust around the vegetable. If this occurs, remove this mushroom from oil and place it on a paper towel on a plate to cool. Repeat the process for the other mushrooms.
- When mushrooms are cool to touch, garnish with green onions and serve with sriracha mayo.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @wickedhealthy on Instagram and hashtag it #eatwickedfoods
Keywords: vegan mushroom tempura