Wicked Comforting Pumpkin Curry
October 30, 2020
Don’t let those beautiful pumpkins go to waste (did you know that most Halloween pumpkins end up in the trash…and eventually in a landfill?)! We’ve whipped up this wicked quick, wicked easy pumpkin (feel free to sub for squash) curry that’ll be the perfect belly warmer for these winter months. A lil’ Thai flavour gives this smooth curry a kick, with freshness from coriander and a protein punch from the humble chickpea. Make big batches of this if you have a bunch of pumpkins decorating your windows, ideal to freeze and reheat when you need some delicious comfort food!
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 - 4 servings 1x
- 3 cups cubed pumpkin or squash, peeled
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tins chickpeas, drained
- 1 aubergine (eggplant), cubed bite-sized
- 4 tbsp yellow (or red) Thai curry paste
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp minced fresh garlic
- 1 small red chili, chopped (optional – for heat add bird’s eye chili)
- 2 cans light coconut milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch salt & black pepper
- 1 tbsp macerated coconut, garnish sprinkle
- ½ bunch coriander, to garnish
- 1 cup veg broth to think as/if needed
- Preheat oven to 180 and pre-roast cleaned and chopped pumpkin for 20 minutes until soft.
- Heat a large saucepot on medium high heat, add oil, ginger, garlic and onion and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add aubergine and curry paste, stir to cook for a couple minutes.
- Add cooked cubed pumpkin, coconut milk, brown sugar, turmeric and pinch of salt and bing to simmer, then add chickpeas and lemon juice.
- Simmer for a good 10-15 minutes to meld flavours, add veg broth for thinner consistency.
- Remove from heat, let settle and serve over brown rice with additional veg for added boom!
- Serve with added chillies, fresh coriander and coconut to garnish.
Want more inspiration? Check out our Wicked Healthy YouTube Channel!
Get pinning! We’re over here on the Wicked Recipes Pinterest.
Love our recipes? Join the Mushroom Mafia! Check out our Wicked Healthy Merch and become a Plant-Pusher!
Keywords: pumpkin curry