Persian Herb & Bean Stew with Chickpeas
October 21, 2020
Here’s a great, flavorful, high protein Persian herb & bean stew recipe, inspired by the amazing Patrick Baboumian, from The Game Changers film. We made this recipe some time ago and had to come back to it, it was so good. Making a few additions of our own, it’s a super filling and nourishing dish you’re gonna love!
This amazing, colorful and simple dish with moreishly fragrant flavors, uses fenugreek and turmeric – wicked delish!
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 - 4 servings 1x
- 226g plant-based meat/mince (optional)
- 3 cans, (chickpeas, drained)
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large onions, diced
- 250g baby spinach
- 1 bunch/150g, green onion, thin sliced
- ½ bunch/50g parsley, chopped
- ½ bunch/50g coriander, chopped
- 1 ½ TBSP fenugreek, dry powdered
- ½ TBSP turmeric
- 1 tsp chili flakes or 1 fresh birds eye chili, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 TBSP veg oil (optional)
- 1 TBSP salt, coarse (optional)
- 1 liter/5 cups water
- Heat a large sauce on med-high heat, add oil (optional). Add onions and garlic and sauté until translucent and begins to brown, splash a bit of water if needed.
- Add Chickpeas, lemon juice, and 1 liter of water until covered with water and bring to a slow simmering boil.
- Lower heat and add half of the fresh chopped parsley and coriander and baby spinach and dried spices, stirring often.
- Simmer on low-medium heat for roughly 30 minutes until the stew thickens and water evaporates.
- Just before serving, stir through remaining fresh chopped herbs and green onion spinach and cook until wilted.
Remove from heat and serve.
Serve with rice.
Make it Wicked:
We’ve got Wicked merch! Head to the Wicked Healthy Store!
Want more inspiration? Check out our Wicked Healthy YouTube Channel!
Get pinning! We’re over here on the Wicked Recipes Pinterest.
Keywords: persian herb and bean stew