MEDITERRANEAN-INSPIRED STEW | EASY VEGAN MEAL PREP
September 9, 2020
Don’t get too caught up on the details, see this more as a guide to make a big batch of rustic, hearty, flavourful stew that is 100% plants! We’re pan-pressing Eryngiis again in this recipe, bringing out the meatiness of these King Oyster ‘shrooms, with crispy charred criss-cross edges, coated in our Wicked Kitchen Lemon, Garlic and Herb Seasoning that’s available at Tesco in the UK!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 3 Eryngii/King Oyster Mushrooms
- 1/2 Cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1/2 Broccoli, chopped into florets
- 3 small courgettes, chopped into rounds
- 12–15 brussel sprouts, whole
- 2 big handfuls frozen peas
- 100g pack spinach
- 1 tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed (about 1 cup)
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and rough chopped
- 1 1-litre carton of V8 tomato juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lemon, halved, peel on
- 1 cinnamon stick, or 1 tsp cinnamon spice powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Wicked Kitchen – Sage, Onion Garlic Seasoning
- 1 tsp Wicked Kitchen Lemon – Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- 1 TBSP fresh mint leaves, ripped
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400f/200c.
- Heat a large pot on med-high heat, coat the bottom with a teaspoon of oil. Add onion, celery, and carrot into the pot, stir. Add garlic, stir.
- Slice whole mushrooms in half and thinly score (criss-cross marks) on the flat side with a sharp knife and set aside.
- Add broccoli, cauliflower and courgette, bay leaf to a pot. Slice the lemon in half and squeeze both halves into the pot, over a sieve to catch the seeds. Make sure all seeds are removed and add both halves to the pot.
- Add the whole carton of V8 (tomato juice), brussel sprouts, kidney beans, and cinnamon stick. Season with smoked paprika, black pepper, salt, and pork seasoning. Stir, bring to a slow boil. Turn to a simmer and cover while you prepare the mushrooms.
- Heat a cast-iron pan over high heat. While heating, run a little oil on the flat sides of the mushrooms. Sprinkle an even coating of our Lemon, Garlic & Herb Seasoning onto each scored face.
- Add ½ teaspoon of oil to coat the bottom of the pan, when it’s hot you’re ready to sear the mushrooms – place them flat side down on the pan. Take another pan and press the mushrooms, applying gentle pressure using a dishcloth, to create an even sear, for ultimate, even crispiness in each bite.
- Liftoff the pressing pan and turn your mushrooms, then place the whole pan in the oven.
- Lower heat under the stew, taste and season more if needed with salt and pepper. At the very end add frozen peas, spinach, and fresh mint and stir. Remove lemon halves and turn off the heat.
- Remove mushrooms from the oven.
- To serve – ladle the stew into a bowl and top with the crispy mushroom half.
- Enjoy with fluffy brown rice.
Want more inspiration? Check out our YouTube Channel!
Get pinning! We’re over here on Pinterest.
Keywords: Mediterranean Stew