BBQ TOFU AND ‘CHEESY’ POLENTA
August 19, 2020
One of the best ways to cook up Tofu is Barbecued! On the grill or in the oven this dish delivers on flavor and satisfaction not to mention high in protein if you care about that.
Alongside it is the super dreamy cheesy polenta dish that, in all honesty, can stand on it’s own. The Tofu is seasoned well with a hot Italian sausage-esc, blend of herbs and spices, grilled juicy red onions and smothered in a sticky sweet BBQ sauce that’ll get your mouth watering!
Learn the technique and swap out sauces, seasonings and accompaniments to make various spin-offs, to make your own homemade wicked creations. You got this!
- Yield: Serves 4-6 people 1x
- 2 blocks, extra firm tofu
- 2 red onion, quartered (watch video for chopping tips)
- 4 spring onions (scallions)
- 1 TBSP fennel seed
- 1 TBSP oregano
- 1 TBSP red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp aniseed
- 4 TBSP oil canola/vegetable (optional fat from Tofu Pork Belly Recipe)
- 1 jar (approx 350ml/12oz) BBQ sauce (or make ours with this recipe)
- 1 bottle beer (optional)
- 1/4 cup (approx 65g) cornmeal, medium grind
- 2 cups of water
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup corn
- 4 slices plant-based gouda (Follow Your Heart brand recommended)
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 2 TBSP plant-based butter
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and sliced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 TBSP excess seasoning from tofu
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 handful crushed tortilla chips
- Oat milk (or plant-based dairy alternative) if you need to thin it out just add a little to desired consistency
- 1 package (about 5 cups) baby spinach
- Salt and pepper
Optional: Nutritional yeast to make it “cheesier”.
- Start by making a spice blend; grinding aniseed, fennel, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, and garlic powder in a pestle and mortar, until combined, smooth and crushed.
- Place tofu in a baking dish and drizzle over some ‘ fat’/oil, rubbing to coat evenly. Generously sprinkle spice blend over each side of tofu, pressing into the surface to coat.
- Chop onions into quarters, trim each end just enough so the onion layers are pierced, peel, and 1/4 (check the video to check how to do this without them falling apart!).
- Heat Pan or cast iron until hot, add oil, place tofu onto the surface and sear each side for 2-3 minutes. Remove Tofu from the pan and place in a sided baking dish
- Add onion to pan and sear on each side evenly until golden, remove and add to a baking dish with the tofu. Add BBQ sauce to cover tofu in the baking dish.
- (Optional) Deglaze the cooking pan with a little beer to absorb the flavours and add to BBQ sauce.
- When ready, preheat oven 420f/215c, once hot, roast for 20 minutes before serving. Or now’s a good time to throw it on the grill.
- Heat a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat. Add plant-based butter, diced onions, and garlic. Add garlic powder, smoked paprika, and extra seasoning from tofu, a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Add a handful of crushed tortilla chips and saute for 1 minute.
- Add 2 cups of water (approx 18oz/500ml) to the saucepot, bring to a boil and slowly whisk in cornmeal. Lower heat and add corn, green onion, and cheese. Thin as needed with a little plant-based milk. Lower heat to low, stirring often for 10 minutes until thick and creamy. Keep tasting!
- Remove tofu and onions from the oven.
- Wilt baby spinach on the stovetop with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Want more inspiration? Check out our Wicked Healthy YouTube Channel!
Get pinning! We’re over here on Wicked Healthy Pinterest Page.
Keywords: BBQ Tofu