The BEST Vegan Fried Rice + Sticky Teriyaki Mushrooms
August 2, 2020
Wondering what to do with your left-over rice/grains? Turn them into an extra-special home made fried rice with some saucy, meaty ‘shrooms and a ton of delicious fresh veggies! We were lucky to discover some beautiful blue cluster mushrooms while locked down in Tucson, grown by a company called BKW and had to work them into a recipe, using our signature pan-pressing technique. We’re not trying to win any awards with this one, it’s just a really easy way to transform your leftovers into a hearty and delicious dish, with some serious nutrition points to form all the greens. The Teriyaki really adds the Asian flavor, but you can use any sauce you have in your cupboards!
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 4 cup cooked rice, see our Perfect Brown Rice recipe here
- 2 blue oyster mushrooms, broken into ‘petals’
- 3–4 inch piece of ginger, peeled (using our spoon hack) and finely diced
- 4 green onions, diced
- ½ red onion, julienned and halved
- Bunch of x30 asparagus spears, just ends, finely diced
- 2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 400g can chickpeas
- 2 cup snap peas
- ½ cup approx Wicked Kitchen Sticky Teriyaki Sauce, or any Teriyaki Sauce
- Chili pepper, finely sliced
- 2 TBSP sesame oil
- 1 TBSP garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 420f/215c.
- Get a cast-iron pan wicked hot, add a little oil to coat the surface and add mushroom petals. Press for 1 minute, using the weight of another pan, apply pressure with hand using a dishcloth. Season with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and turn to coat both sides. Add 5 tablespoons Teriyaki sauce over the top of the mushrooms using a spoon, the goal is to caramelize the mushrooms in the sticky sauce.
- Turn off heat and remove pan from burner, transfer immediately to pre-heated oven for 15 minutes.
- Use this time to prep green onion, red onion and asparagus.
- Place large pan/wok over a high heat and add onions, frozen corn, ginger, chickpeas, snap peas, asparagus, frozen peas, then sesame oil, a couple pinches of black pepper, pinch of salt and then the cooked rice. Add 5 tablespoons of Teriyaki sauce and stir. Add half the green onion. Stir to combine and cook through.
- Remove mushrooms from oven.
- Plate up fried rice and add the meaty Teriyaki mushrooms on top, with sliced chili and green onion as a garnish.
You can use any grain – quinoa, barley and any sauce! Mix and match and see what you like best.
Want more inspiration? Check out our Wicked Healthy YouTube Channel!
Get pinning! We’re over here on our Wicked Healthy Pinterest page.
Keywords: Vegan Fried Rice, Mushrooms