How to make VEGAN PORK BELLY – Sweet Chili Tofu
July 20, 2020
*WARNING* this one is 100% Wicked!
It’s simple to make and is for the foodie type cook, takes a little longer but the result is game changing. Do this in big batches for the week and you’re set like a pro!
This amazing technique for slow roasting and then pan frying tofu is similar to how people prepare the animal based version. We’re going to call it TOFU BELLY, because that sounds fun.
There will be no apologies for the amount of oil we use in this one as we’re going for pure wicked indulgence and showing ways to replace animal equivalents. This is, not for healthy and when and if you’re into giving yourself a cheat day this is a dish to master. If you only care about it being vegan and not healthy, then this is for you!
Since it’s such a long process just make in bigger batches. Instead of two blocks use 4 or 6 for bulk meal preps.
- Yield: 4
- x2 blocks of tofu, extra firm
- 1 t black pepper
- 1 T kosher salt
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t smoked paprika
- Rapeseed oil or high quality, high heat oil, enough to cover
- 1 C cornflour/cornstarch
- 1/4 C corn meal, medium grind
- 1/2 smoked paprika
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Frozen sweetcorn
- Sweet chili sauce
- Rice (cooked)
- Pre-heat oven to 240f/115c.
- Rub each side of tofu block with black pepper, salt, garlic powder and smoked paprika. Place into shallow pan and submerge in grapeseed oil.
- Place in oven and turn blocks every 30 minutes for 4/4.5 hours. (we did say long game!)
- Once cooked and taken out of the oven, remove tofu from dish (set aside as we will use the oil) and cut into slices, lightly scoring the top, with a criss cross pattern.
- Star to heat up a cast-iron pan and mix cornflour/cornstarch, corn meal, smoked paprika, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Transfer 4 large tablespoons of the tofu oil into the cast iron pan, enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
Lightly dip the tofu slices in the cornstarch mixture on each side and place on the pan. (You don’t need them to be liberally coated) Cook for 3-4 minutes and flip over until golden brown all over.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes to crisp up.
- Add a layer of sliced green onion and frozen corn to a glass ovenproof dish (saving a little to garnish). Pour over a layer of sweet chili sauce and lightly mix. Bake for 5 mins on 420f/215c.
- Arrange cooked rice in the center of the plate, followed by the green onion, sweet corn and sweet chili sauce mix, topped with 2 pieces of pork belly tofu. Drizzle a generous amount of chili sauce over the tofu and garnish with the raw, sliced green onion.
Save the oil and re-use to cook your veggies another time.
Want more inspiration? Check out our Wicked Healthy YouTube Channel!
Get pinning! We’re over here on the Wicked Healthy Pinterest page.
Keywords: Vegan Pork Belly Tofu