Peanut Butter, Tahini and Chocolate Chip Cookies
July 10, 2020
Super soft-batch cookies with a light, buttery crumb and an irresistibly nutty flavour. These guys are packed with dark chocolate, peanut butter, and tahini, without being overly rich. They’re easy to whip up and are a guaranteed crowd pleaser!
- Yield: 20 Cookies 1x
- 1 t psyllium husks, or 1 T flax seeds
- 4 T water
- 200g plain white flour
- 1/2 t baking soda
- ½ t baking powder
- ½ t fine sea salt
- 100g vegan butter, at room temperature
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g light brown sugar
- 2 T soy milk
- 130g smooth peanut butter (try to use 100% peanut varieties if you can)
- 50g light tahini
- 160g vegan dark chocolate
- 2 T white sesame seeds
- Pinch flaky sea salt
- In a small bowl whisk together the ground psyllium husks/ground flax seeds with the water. Set aside to thicken into your egg mixture.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the vegan butter, sugars, soy milk and psyllium/flax egg mixture until smooth and fluffy. Add the peanut butter and tahini and beat for another few minutes.
- Add the flour mixture and beat gently until just combined. Finally add the chocolate chips, reserving a small handful for decorating the top of the cookies later.
- Cover the dough with cling film and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 170c and line two baking trays with baking parchment.
- Using a cookie dough scoop or a tablespoon, place scoops of dough around the size of walnuts on the prepared baking trays with a few inches between each cookie. You should fit 10 per tray.
- Top each cookie with a couple of the reserved chocolate chips. Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with the sesame seeds and the flaky sea salt.
- Gently press down each ball of dough with a fork. Don’t worry about making a pattern or design on top – this will disappear as they bake.
- Bake for 20 minutes, being careful not to let the cookies burn on the edges. Remove from the oven and leave to cool fully on a wire cooling rack.
- Once cooled, serve and enjoy!
Here’s a visual step-by-step walk-through of the process behind making these bonkers delicious cookies!
Keywords: vegan cookies, peanut butter & chocolate chip cookies
Start with the Psyllium Husks/Flax Seeds
These guys will act as your egg replacement and will help hold the whole cookie dough together. Whether you’re using psyllium husks or flax seeds, you’ll need to grind them into a rough powder (you can do this in a blender or spice grinder) and mix them with water to hydrate. Set aside to thicken.
Prepare Your Dry Ingredients
Sieve together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and set aside.
Blend Wet Ingredients
It’s super crucial your vegan butter is room temperature for this step. If you can’t wait, zap your butter in the microwave on 50% power for 30 seconds. If it melts a little, that’s fine. Just make sure the butter isn’t chilled. Next, you’ll need to beat together the vegan butter, psyllium/flax egg mixture, sugars, and soy milk. Don’t worry if it looks split at this stage – it’ll come together in the next step.
Add the Peanut Butter and Tahini
This should make everything super smooth and creamy. Don’t overbeat the batter at this stage, just make sure everything is nice and homogenous.
Add the Dry Ingredients and Chocolate
Next you’ll need to add the flour mixture and beat until just combined. Again, don’t overwork the mixture or you’ll end up with tough cookies! Finally, add the chocolate chips and combine. The dough will be rather loose for normal cookie dough, so cover it with cling film and place in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
Scoop, Top and Bake
Once the mixture is chilled it’s time to scoop out your cookie portions. Scoop onto a baking parchment-lined baking sheet and make sure they’re separated by a few inches. Top with some sesame seeds, some extra chocolate chips and a sprinkle of salt. It’s also a good idea to push down your cookies lightly with a fork – this helps them to spread. Bake at 170c for 20 minutes and keep an eye on their edges to make sure they don’t burn.
Cool and Serve
Allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before serving. Enjoy!