Vegan Chinese BBQ Takeaway | High Protein Meal-Prep
May 13, 2020
Elevate your tofu game! Tofu doesn’t have to be bland and boring, it’s up to you – there are so many kick-ass ways to work with it. Layering flavours, seasoning, bring your favorite flavors into the mix.
For this recipe, we’ve used the Wicked Kitchen Sesame Togarashi spice blend for the added punch. If you don’t have access to these any vegan togarashi will do, check your local stores. We’ve used our Wicked Kitchen Asian BBQ Sauce that turns this dish into an authentic tasting Chinese takeaway, with a balance of crispy and saucy textures. Most stores will carry a char siu style BBQ sauce if you don’t have access to the Wicked foods yet. We’re working on making them more available in your country.
Here’s the recipe and for best results follow along with and use the video as a visual reference.
- 1 – 2 extra firm blocks of tofu, plain or smoked
- Wicked Kitchen Asian BBQ Sauce (or other BBQ sauce)
- Veg oil
- 1 c rice flour/starch
- 1 c corn flour/starch
- 3 T Wicked Kitchen Sesame Togarashi Seasoning
- 1 t garlic granules
- 1 t black pepper
- 1 t salt (optional)
- Black and white sesame seed for garnish. (optional)
- Tear tofu apart into bite-size pieces
- In a medium-size bowl add and mix together all dry ingredients to create the coating.
- Dredge each piece of tofu to cover evenly and set aside.
- On medium-high heat, heat cast iron (shallow pan) until hot. Add even oil to cover the bottom and a little extra.
- Shallow pan fry the tofu pieces 4 – 6 at a time making sure to rotate and turn to cook all sides.
- Repeat this process until all pieces are cooked. Place cooked tofu pieces on a paper towel lined plate to drip-dry any excess oil.
- Pre-Heat oven 200c/400f
- In a large bowl add Asian BBQ Sauce, then add tofu and toss to coat pieces evenly.
- Assemble onto a baking paper (parchment) lined baking sheet evenly and Heat for 10-15 minutes in the oven to finish.
- Best served with veg and rice of your choice
Options: Feel free to use different spices for different flavors, they are all interchangeable. Mix and match veggies to accompany this dish.
Want more inspiration? Check out our Wicked Healthy YouTube Channel!
Get pinning! We’re over here on our Wicked Healthy Pinterest Page.
Keywords: Vegan Chinese takeaway