Wicked Easy No Knead Bread
May 6, 2020
The easiest bread recipe we’ve come across here at Wicked! This bread is literally no more than 5 minutes of your time mixing, with no kneading required! This is a fool-proof method for all our budding first-time bakers out there, with minimal ingredients and clear steps to follow so you can get making a crusty, delicious loaf of your own right at home! There’s lots of room for variation to freestyle with this loaf, try out some olives, roasted garlic and fragrant rosemary, or maybe you’ll fold in some vegan cheese, chives and sundried tomatoes. We like to keep it simple with a drizzle of olive oil and flaked salt for a friggin’ delicious crust. Mix it up and cut the all purpose flour with whole wheat. Just note this variation will give a denser bread.
- 3 c bread flour (all-purpose works well but bread flour a bit higher in gluten than AP for more of a chewy bread)
- ¾ t dry yeast
- 1 t salt
- 1 ½ c warm water, not boiling
- In a mixing bowl, fold all dry ingredients. Add in warm water and mix with wooden spoon until all mixed. The dough will be very wet and shaggy looking. No kneading involved. Cover in plastic. Allow to rest for 3-4 hours on the counter.
- After resting, lightly sprinkle flour on a clean surface and dump out the wet dough. Lightly dust with flour, and gently fold the dough a few times. (This is the time to add other ingredients, walnuts, olives, vegan parm, herbs etc) If adding ingredients, make sure they are thoroughly mixed.
- Place a piece of parchment large enough to come up the sides of the bowl. Place in a clean mixing bowl and then place in dough. It will be very soft still. Cover bowl with towel on top and let rest for an hour to rise. I like to keep the dough at this stage near the oven so it’s a bit warmer.
- Preheat oven to 450 and put in a Dutch oven with the lid for 30 minutes to an hour. This is your baking vessel.
- Remove the pot carefully, it will be wicked hot. Remove lid and gently lift the parchment paper with dough and place parchment right in hot pot.
- Using knife or razor, slice a line or two down the middle of the dough (optional).
- Drizzle the top with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Place the lid back on and carefully place back in the oven.
- Bake for 20-30 min with the lid on, there should be a crust forming but not really much coloration. Remove lid and cook for 15-20 more minutes until golden.
- Try not to consume all in one sitting.
This is my Dutch Oven of choice and works so perfectly for this bread.
Tips and variations:
Drizzling olive oil and salt on the bread is not needed, but certainly gives a crispier crust.
Chopped rosemary, roasted garlic and sliced olives is a favorite variation.
This recipe is also great for individual small ciabatta rolls, or pressed in the pan for focaccia.
Want more inspiration? Check out our Wicked Healthy YouTube Channel!
Get pinning! We’re over here on our Wicked Healthy Pinterest Page.
Keywords: No Knead Bread