WICKED BBQ SAUCE RECIPE
April 27, 2020
Nothing beats a sweet, spicy, and smoky BBQ Sauce! Check out this easy BBQ sauce recipe, focused on working with layering flavours and starting with an ingredient you all probably have in the cupboard as a base – almighty ketchup! Not a ketchup fan!? No worries, simply swap it out for your base of choice, blended cooked sweet potato, beets, or simply tomato paste. You can make this sauce in a snap this grillin’ season (and beyond) and use it as a marinade, dipping sauce for veggies, tofu, our mushroom steaks, and seitan! This one comes out thick, silky, and damn delicious!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 small Chilli pepper, (fresno or cayenne are great choices )chopped
- 1 ½ C Ketchup, low sodium and sugar
- ¼ C Apple cider vinegar
- 2 T Brown coconut sugar
- 2 T Black strap molasses
- 2 Chipotle in adobo
- 1 T Sriracha
- 2 tsp T Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Mustard powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- about 1 C of water
- 1 T vegan butter
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add oil, swirl to coat the surface.
Add onion, garlic, and chopped chili in a pan and saute until the garlic and onions start to caramelize.
- Lower heat to medium-low and add ketchup, vinegar, sriracha, smoked paprika, chipotle, mustard, brown sugar, molasses, and salt.
- Dilute with a little water to evenly distribute flavours, stir to reduce. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, then shut off the heat.
- Use an immersion blender to combine the ingredients to create a thick glossy sauce.
- Simmer down for a couple of minutes to thicken to your desired consistency. Add the vegan butter for a silky sheen, stir in to melt and combine.
- Stores in the fridge for up to a week.
Check out our Quarantine edition BBQ Grilled Veg Bonanza to try this BBQ sauce recipe out with!
Try it with our signature Wicked mushroom steaks.
Want more inspiration? Check out our Wicked Healthy YouTube Channel!
Get pinning from our Wicked Healthy Pinterest page.
Keywords: BBQ Sauce Recipe