Apple Pie Oatmeal
April 22, 2020
This decadent, simple porridge recipe is ideal for family sharing, brunches or an elevated solo breakie! It’s a healthier dessert option when topped with a scoop of no dairy ice cream. Yes, there are no rules that oatmeal can’t be for desert.
The quick-fire caramelized apple technique is one to file in the back of your mind. Great for quick tarts, toppings for ice cream, kids snacks, etc. Don’t forget to try with pears or firmer peaches as well.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2 1x
- ½ of a pint/cup oats
- 2 apples, diced (save some slices for garnish)
- 6 dates, sliced
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 t cinnamon powder
- 1 banana, sliced
- 2–3 T raisins
- 2 T pumpkin seeds
- ½ t vanilla extract
- Just under a t of vegan butter
- Fresh mint
- Soak oats in 1 pint/2 cups boiling water and add dates, stir through.
- Heat up a cast iron pan (or any heavy-based pan) and melt butter, swirling to coat, then add diced apple. Saute with a dusting of cinnamon and brown sugar to caramelize. It’s quick.
- Once golden, add raisins, pumpkin seeds, and vanilla. Stir to coat. Make it your own!
- Set aside 4 tbsps of the apple mixture in a bowl.
- Add oats to the cast-iron pan and stir through to combine. Top with banana and apple slices, a couple of spoons of the saved hot apple mixture and a sprig of fresh mint.
- Serve and enjoy!
Hungry for more? Check out our Wicked Healthy YouTube Channel for tons more recipe videos with Derek and Chad.