HOTBOX CABBAGE & PULLED MUSHROOMS
February 21, 2020
Hot Boxing is a thing and we’re bringing the mighty CABBAGE front and center. Paired with delicious Wicked Kitchen spices and with our favourite pulled, sticky King Oyster mushroom, this is food fit for backyard BBQ Kings made fairly simple and easy with big flavor returns. With this recipe you can make the most lush cabbage steaks, full roasts and the most amazing side dishes. It’s your call where you want to take it. Master the technique and play with the flavors. You are the king of your kitchen!
You’ll need a dutch oven with a lid for this one. Something a bit bigger that can take the heat. It’s all about steaming itself and containing all the flavors in a small space. We also use the same type of container to bake sourdough bread at home. It works perfectly. We also expand more on the pulled mushroom technique and the different variations and techniques that make mushrooms into meat! Expect a great authentic mouth-feel and crispy edges you’re looking for packed with all the flavour and feel-good factor to boot!
We are using the new Wicked Kitchen spice and sauce ranges sold in the U.K. If you don’t have access to these please feel free to substitute with your favorite ones available to you. Or by all means, come visit us in the U.K. You have creative license with any spices and sauces familiar to you or try something new.
- 2 Cone Cabbages
- 6 King Oyster Mushrooms
- BBQ Rub (Wicked Kitchen Hot N’ Spicy BBQ Rub)
- Togarashi Spice (Wicked Kitchen Sesame Togarashi Spice Blend)
- Sage, Onion & Garlic Seasoning (Wicked Kitchen Sage, Onion & Garlic Seasoning)
- Teriyaki Sauce (Wicked Kitchen Spicy Teriyaki Sauce)
- BBQ Sauce (Wicked Kitchen Asian Style BBQ Sauce)
- Fresh Coriander
Serve with our Roast Vegetable Centrepiece board.
- Preheat oven to 200c (fan) 400 (convection).
- Lightly coat both cabbages with oil (use your hands) dust BBQ spice to cover entire outer cabbage. Place in dutch oven and cover. Cook in oven between 45-60 minutes.
- Shred the mushrooms by running a fork along the fibres, away from the cap. Pull apart with fingers and place in a large bowl.
- Heat medium size skillet on med-high heat until hot.
- Add little oil, add mushroom shreds. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until the edges begin to crisp.
- Season with Sesame Togarashi and Sage, Onion, Garlic seasoning. Stir through and pop in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven when done and Transfer mushrooms to a bowl and mix in Teriyaki Sauce. Place mushrooms on one half of a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Carefully remove cabbage from oven after 45 mins, remove lid and pop back in the oven for 10 more minutes. Remove cabbages from dutch oven and cut into inch-thick steaks and place beside pulled mushrooms on baking sheet. Lather BBQ sauce over the cabbage steaks.
- Re-heat tray for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve up with our Wicked Veg Board and a little fresh Coriander.
Want finer shreds, like pulled pork/beef? Shred with fork all the way through, then rip apart with hands. Want larger Chicken/Turkey shreds? Shred on the outside, tear off the cap and pull apart larger pieces with your hands.