CHILI CON CARNE
August 17, 2018
There’s a lot you can do with Field Roast sausages, but one of our favorite ways to use them is grinding them up in a food processor to create a wickedly meaty texture!
We’re using Field Roast’s Mexican Chipotle Sausage here to create a chili that’s #freefromanimals and perfect for ladling into bowls or spooning over plant-based hot dogs. We’ve added in beans, tomatoes and spices to the mix to create a chili that’s full of flavor, texture and just the right amount of spiciness … check it out!
- Yield: 4 1x
- 4 Field Roast Mexican Chipotle Sausages, halved and roughly chopped
- ¼ white onion, diced
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T cumin
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 (16 oz.) can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 oz.) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 oz.) can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 C water
- 1 T chipotle peppers, roughly chopped
- 2 T pickled jalapeño juice
- 1 ½ t sea salt
- plant-based sour cream
- tortilla chips
- chopped scallions
- Place the chopped Field Roast sausages into a food processor, pulsing several times until finely ground.
- Warm a large saucepan over medium heat and add the oil. Add in the onions, cumin and chili powders and saute, stirring frequently, until the onions have caramelized and the spices are aromatic. Add in the ground Field Roast Sausage and the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a simmer, and reduce the heat to low-medium stirring occasionally until slightly thickened. The chili will be done in about 15 minutes after turned down from a simmer.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve with plant-based sour cream, chopped scallions and tortilla chips. Alternatively, serve with Field Roast Frankfurters for Chili Cheese Dogs.