SPEZZATINO OYSTER MUSHROOMS & PASTA
January 29, 2018
Mushrooms can save the world. Certainly our appetites! Give us iron a sharp knife, fire and some shroomz and we’re ready to rock n’ roll.
- Yield: 2-4 1x
for the mushrooms
- 4 clusters of brown oyster mushrooms, ends removed
- ½ t garlic granulated
- 1 t Italian seasoning
- pinch of coarse sea salt
- pinch of pepper
- several cherry tomatoes
- 2 C of tomato sauce
- 1 recipe of Pasta a la Kale di Garlico
- parsley, to garnish
to press the mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When skillet is hot, add oil, add cluster mushrooms.
- Cook for a few minutes, then add a second cast-iron pan to the top and let naturally press.
- Gently press on pan evenly. The mushrooms will start to release their liquid. When the liquid reduces a bit, remove the top skillet.
- Sprinkle garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper over mushrooms.
- Flip clusters so that the seasoned side is down. Searing them will allow them to caramelize and char. Repeat this process until mushrooms are golden brown and compressed clusters.
- Add a splash of oil if needed. Remove from heat when ready.
to bake the mushrooms
- Add cooked mushrooms to casserole pan. Add cherry tomatoes, and cover with the tomato sauce evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before slicing.
- Carve the mushroom steaks and serve over Pasta a la Kale di Garlico.
- Garnish with parsley.