KIMCHI FRIED RICE SCRAMBLE
January 25, 2018
We’re huge fans of fried rice for breakfast, lunch or dinner and it’s a great idea for making some tasty dishes out of the leftovers in the fridge. This is one of our favorites!
The addition of kimchi is wonderful, fragrant, punchy, and good for us. Protein-packed, veg-filled, and rocking the kimchi for a dish you’ll be craving again and again: this fried rice scramble is where it’s at. We’re searing and pressing our tofu with the cast iron, firing up the flavor, and getting those charred, crispy bits we love. It’s a technique we’ve been mastering for years.
- Yield: 2 1x
for the tofu
- 2 T oil, divided
- 1 small block firm tofu
- pinch coarse sea salt
- pinch black pepper
for the vegetables
- 1 shimeji mushrooms, clamshell container, separated
- 1 rib celery, sliced on an angle
- ½ small white onion, julienned
- a few radishes, quartered
- 1 clove garlic, sliced thin
- 1 t turmeric
- ½ t garlic granules
- ½ t smoked paprika
for the rice
- 1 T toasted sesame oil
- 1 ½ C cooked white rice
- ½ C kimchi
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 green onion, sliced on an angle
- few sprigs of cilantro
to prepare the tofu
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat add a splash of oil and coat evenly.
- Keeping tofu block whole, rub salt and pepper onto one side, and place seasoned side down in skillet.
- Carefully press with second skillet to help sear and pushes water out of tofu. Let cook for a few minutes, adding pressure to sear.
- When nicely charred, flip tofu block, and press other side, repeat until charred and set aside. Scrape out skillet, wipe down to start clean.
to prepare the vegetables
- Return skillet to heat and add a splash of oil.
- Add shimeji mushrooms, celery, onion, radish and garlic.
- Saute for about 5 minutes until they start to caramelize, then stir.
- Add pressed tofu block to the top of the veggies.
- To the tofu, add turmeric, garlic and smoked paprika.
- Using a spatula, break up the tofu in the pan and mix with vegetables in the pan until completely combined.
to prepare the rice
- Add sesame oil, rice, and kimchi to skillet, and stir everything together.
- At the end of cooking, add spinach and stir around until it wilts, then remove skillet from heat.
- Sprinkle with green onion and cilantro. Serve immediately.