BLUEBERRY PORRIDGE SCRAMBLE
January 15, 2018
We’re tackling porridge and giving it a wicked upgrade. This dish is like eating the soft crumble crust topping of a cobbler. The seared flavors of buttery oats, blueberries and cinnamon in the magic of a hot, cast iron pan is magic indeed.
- Yield: 1 1x
- 1 C whole, rolled oats
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1 T plant-based butter
- ¼ C fresh blueberries (25 grams), plus a few more for garnish
- ¼ t cinnamon
- ¼ t nutmeg
- Splash of water
- about 6 macadamia nuts
- 1 container of Oatly brand Creamy Oat Fraiche
- fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- Soak oats overnight and drain really well before adding to skillet.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- To the soaked oats, add brown sugar and mix until completely combined.
- When skillet is hot, drop in the plant-based butter, let it melt to coat skillet.
- Add the oat/brown sugar mixture to the skillet, and spread to cover the surface of the skillet. (It’s gonna stick and that is what we want to brown the oats and add flavor.)
- Add blueberries, cinnamon and nutmeg to the top, and let sit for the oats to caramelize.
- Scrape the skillet down with a spatula, add a splash of water and stir mixture until well combined.
- Spoon porridge onto plate. Add more fresh blueberries.
- Grate one macadamia nut with a microplane rasp or a fine grater to top porridge with macadamia snow.
- Add a few spoonfuls of the Oat Fraiche to the dish or your own homemade sour cream or coconut cream. Add mint leaves, and additional macadamia nuts to garnish.
You should know us well enough by now to expect everything to end up in the cast iron at some point.
Even porridge, but think scramble.
By soaking the oats overnight, they are ready to go right into the pan when you wake up. No need to boil. Get ‘em into your tummy faster. We’re using fresh blueberries here, but if they are not in season where you live, using frozen blueberries will still make a killer dish.
After the porridge is all caramelized and scrambled perfectly in the cast iron, we’re serving it up hot with some extra blueberries, whole macadamia nuts for a great contrasting texture, and a dusting of macadamia snow to finish.
Hungry for more? Sign up at Veganuary (click on the logo below) for daily wicked healthy recipes, tips and resources, delivered straight to your inbox!