January 8, 2018
Welcome to week 2 of Veganuary!
This week we’re starting off with our wicked take on pesto. You can ditch the dairy and still make your Italian Nana proud with your pesto prowess. Pesto is typically made with Parmesan mixed in and, even without cheese, this flavor-packed recipe classic is one of our faves. We like to add a bit of mint for that added one + two punch and spinach to help extend it a little and brighten up the color, not to mention upping the veg factor. Either one of these ingredients can be doubled up in the recipe or left out.
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- 4–5 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 handfuls of fresh basil leaves, stems removed
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 small handful of fresh mint leaves
- ½ C (60 grams) pistachios, no shell (or about 1 handful)
- 3 C (700 ml) olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In food processor, add first 5 ingredients and have olive oil handy when ready to drizzle.
- While the food processor is running, drizzle in oil and puree the mixture to your desired consistency.
- Add a few pinches of salt and pepper to taste, and pulse again to combine.
- Pour pesto into a clean mason jar and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- You can also freeze it, or freeze in small portions (ice cube trays are great!) and use as needed as an easy grab-and-go staple for later.
Once you have the base foundation of how to make a pesto you can find new flavors and leafy greens to add like rocket, nettle, kale or even dandelion greens if you like that bitter taste.
Once you nail this recipe, the use of such a high commodity sauce like this one is endless. Pesto on pasta, pesto garlic bread, pesto lasagna, pesto hummus, pesto scramble, pesto marinade … heck, just sit there and dip crackers in it. We do.
We have more pesto recipe recipes coming at you later this week, so stay tuned for more ways to use this basil-filled, garlicky treasure.
Hungry for more? Sign up at Veganuary (click on the logo below) for daily wicked healthy recipes, tips and resources, delivered straight to your inbox!