HARISSA AUBERGINE & TOFU SCRAMBLE BREAKFAST BURRITO
January 5, 2018
Harissa Aubergine in a breakfast burrito? Yep! It adds a ton of flavor and the mellow-ness of the tofu balances it’s nicely and the crunch of the added veggies bring it all home. The Harissa Aubergine we used to top our pizza a few days ago is wicked versatile, so when making this Aubergine recipe we make enough to use in several applications. You’ll be surprised how many things you can do with it!
- Yield: 2 1x
- 2 T plant-based butter, divided
- 1 block firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
- ½ t turmeric
- ½ t granulated onion or onion powder
- ¼ t smoked paprika
- 1/2 white onion, rough diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced (any color)
- ¼ C (32 grams) red cabbage, sliced
- 1 C (225 grams) baby spinach
- 2 t oil
- 2 Harissa-marinated Aubergine (from the Harissa Eggplant & Kale Pizza Recipe)
- 1 t nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch coarse sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 slices vegan cheese (we used Follow Your Heart PepperJack Slices)
- 2 large soft flour tortilla shells
- Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add plant-based butter to melt.
- Add crumbled tofu. If you have a second skillet add on top to press out excess water. Allow to cook for a few minutes, then remove top skillet and stir. Continue to cook and stir until all the tofu liquid cooks off.
- Add turmeric, granulated onion and smoked paprika, and stir to combine. Move scramble to one side of the skillet.
- To the empty side, add some more butter, onion, bell peppers, and cabbage into skillet, stir, and cook.
- Add spinach, stir gently to combine. Move veggies and spinach to the same side as the scramble.
- Add a splash of oil to empty section of skillet. Add harissa eggplants to skillet.
- As aubergine cooks, add nutritional yeast to tofu scramble with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir tofu scramble and vegetables.
- Add PepperJack Slices to the top of the scramble and vegetables and turn eggplant and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Spoon half of the scramble/veggie mixture into one tortilla shell, add one eggplant, fold ends in and roll burrito. Repeat to assemble second burrito.
- Slice in half and serve immediately.
You know we like to press our mushrooms, In fact the pressing technique can be used for lots of things and tofu is one of them.
Much like with the shrooms, the pressing does the same for the tofu: it’s a functional process and helps to press out liquid, while adding a bit of weight to evenly sear, caramelize and add more flavor.
Hungry for more? Sign up at Veganuary (click on the logo below) for daily wicked healthy recipes, tips and resources, delivered straight to your inbox!