HARISSA AUBERGINE + KALE PIZZA
January 3, 2018
It’s time to make pizza. One of our favorite food groups! Nothing says I love you like a fresh, hot out of the oven pan pizza even if it’s just for me.
We’ve been mastering the art of cast iron cooking and the use of cast iron with pizza is no exception. You of course don’t have to use cast iron, it’s what we like to do and can confirm the good results we’ve had with it. The key is to heat the pan up wicked hot in the oven before adding any dough … this of course adds a danger factor with the HOT pan so be extra cautious. We usually heat the pan on the highest setting in the oven for at least 30 minutes ahead. It helps make that extra crispy, crusty golden brown we can’t get enough of.
- Yield: 1-2 1x
- 2 medium aubergine, sliced in half lengthwise
- olive oil
- ¾ C or 180 ml Harissa paste
- handful of flour, for dusting your work surface
- 1 pizza dough, store-bought or homemade
- 1/2 C or 125 ml of Cheezy Sauce Recipe
- 2 leaves dino kale, ripped and tossed with oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Preheat cast iron pan used for making pizza.
- On baking sheet add sliced aubergine in half, spray baking sheet with little oil, and roast face down for about 20-25 minutes, until aubergine skin side up is wrinkly, tender and easily pierced with a fork. Remove from oven, and allow to cool for 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Scoop aubergine from skins, using a spoon helps add to a bowl and coat with Harissa paste to marinade. This can be done way ahead time, the longer the marinade the more penetration of flavors.
- When you’re ready to assemble the pizza to bake, have all your mise en place in front of you.
- Lightly dust your work surface with flour.
- Pull, stretch, and work the dough into shape for your pizza crust.
- Using a potholder, remove the cast-iron from the oven. Place the dough in the dry hot skillet, pressing the edges of the dough to the shape of the pan.
- Using a basting brush, lightly coat the surface of the dough with oil. Using a spoon, cover the top of the dough evenly with the Wicked Awesome Sauce, then layer with the ripped kale and Harissa aubergine.
- Bake pizza for 15-25 minutes or until crust is brown and bubbling and toppings are roasted perfectly evenly across. Serve immediately.