GRILLED + CHOPPED HEARTY SUMMER SALAD
July 17, 2017
- Yield: 4 1x
for the Ginger-Miso Dressing
- 1 cup mandarin (or orange) juice
- 1/2 cup white miso
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ginger, grated
for the salad
- 1/2 cabbage, cut into (3) large wedges
- 1 zucchini, sliced in (3) long planks
- 1 sweet white onion, peeled and sliced into (5-6)rounds
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 C chickpeas
- 3 T sesame seeds
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 1/4 C cilantro, rough chopped
- 1/4 C mint, rough chopped
- 6 leaves of green kale, removed from stem and coarsley chopped
- 1 orange, sliced into bite-sized wedges
- 1 Thai chiles, sliced in thin rounds
- 3 green onion, sliced thin
to make the dressing
- In high speed blender, blend all ingredients until smooth.
to prepare the salad
- Heat up grill to high heat.
- Rub the cabbage wedges, zucchini planks and onion rounds with oil. Brush or rub with a little oil, then season each side with salt and pepper.
- When grill is up to heat, place these items on the grill and allow to cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side to get some nice coloration and caramelization. Remove from grill.
- Coarsely chop the cabbage and onion. Cube the grilled zucchini. Keep them separate and set aside.
- In saute pan on medium heat, add about 1 tsp of olive oil followed by the chickpeas. Once these start to cook, toss them around to get a bit of color. Add in the sesame seeds and sprinkle of salt. Toss well to coat the chickpeas with sesame, and remove from heat.
- Combine the chopped cilantro, mint and rough chopped kale. Drizzle with some of the citrus miso dressing to lightly coat.
- On a platter, compartmentalize all ingredients. Separate the chopped kale, chopped grilled vegetables and sesame chickpeas. Garnish as desired with the orange wedges, sliced chilis and green onion.
- Serve warm with the remaining of citrus miso dressing on the side.
This dish pairs the crispness of kale with the sweet char of grilled onions and cabbage, while aromatic herbs add an extra pop of flavor. Grilled cabbage you ask? We say give it a try! If you like it raw, you’ll find that grilling it gives it a rich and deep flavor, with a slight buttery note that works well with everything else here.
That sweet char is balanced out with freshly chopped kale, mint and cilantro, tossed in a four-ingredient, citrus-miso dressing that you can prepare in minutes.
Combining these grilled and fresh components together is what makes this salad special. We’ve thrown in some chickpeas for more textural contrast, warmness and a hit of protein. Like sweetness? Top this salad off with orange slices. Like heat? Add Thai chilis. What an additional fresh+clean crunch? Finish it off with sliced green onion. Or all three. Either way, this is a hearty salad that we know you’ll love!