WICKED SEXY ROASTED BEETS
October 12, 2016
We love the simplicity of these ruby roots for their deep color, earthy flavor and silky smooth texture. Did you know that beets and its greens are both an excellent source of folate, vitamin A and K, and a very good source of manganese, copper, and potassium? What’s not to love? Beets taste best the less you fuss with them, which is why we’ve done just that with these beauties. Keep their tops intact to add a little drama to the dish, and serve with one of our favorite cheezes, Heidi Ho‘s Smoky Chia Cheeze. The soft texture and mild flavor with a hint of smokiness plays well with the earthiness of the beets here.
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- 1 bunch baby beets, greens clipped and the bottoms trimmed flat
- 1/4 Cup water
- Heidi Ho Smoky Chia Cheeze, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Wrap baby beets in a couple pieces of tin foil, add water and seal tin foil package, place on baking sheet or pan.
- Roast for 1 hour (depending on size, maybe more time for adult-sized beets).
- You can test for doneness when you can pierce through with a skewer easily.
- Remove from heat and let cool in the package.
- Peel under cold running water with your fingers & thumbs … don’t get the red juice everywhere – dat shit stains.
- When plating, dollop a little of Heidi Ho’s Smoky Chia Cheeze on the plate and set baby beets up all nice and party like.
More on Heidi Ho’s plant-based cheese alternative:
Developed by Chef Heidi Lovig, all of her products are mostly organic, local and contain no soy, gluten or dairy. They are available at most Whole Foods and other organic and natural food grocers, as well as online. We love that this cheeze tastes great hot or cold, and that it goes well with vegetables, pasta, pizza, bread and crackers. Get and stay in touch with Heidi Ho on social media via the links below!
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Email List