WICKED HEALTHY NOODLE BOWLS
July 17, 2016
Noodles man! Seriously, looking at these makes my eyes tear up, heart throb and conscious dance around the room and it’s not entirely because we love onions. We’ll make bad ass bowls like this, give them to loved ones rather than flowers any day, nothing screams “take me” like this!
Imagine how your girl will feel when you serve this to her and her family. I freakin LOVE YOU is how it’ll go! Of course if you’re making it for family members they’ll feel the love in a different way. Another upside to mixed noodle bowls is you can build them with left over odds and ends in the fridge and play the left over game of ‘wait wait don’t throw that away’! They make amazing lunches and are the hit of any dinner party or potluck. Beautiful, bountiful, tasteful and colorful hits the wicked sexy food mark.
- Prep Time: 45-60 min
- Total Time: 45-60 min
- Yield: 4-6 1x
Here’s a list of items to get you started on your own. Each bowl is different and customizable, pick and choose what you like and make your own noodle bar.
- 2 Packages Vermicelli Noodles or Buck Wheat noodles, cooked al’dente & chilled (follow directions on packages)
- 5 Stalks Celery, rubbed with sesame oil to coat thin, sprinkled salt and grilled to char
- ½ bunch Cilantro, cleaned and picked
- ½ bunch Mint, cleaned and picked
- ½ head Butter lettuce cleaned and hand shredded
- ½ lb Carrots, shredded thin place in small bowl
- 1 red onion, shaved thin and rinsed with cold water, chilled, place in small bowl
- 1 English cucumber, sliced wicked thin in half moons or rounds mix it up
- 1 Onion white or red, cut into rounds. best to shave thin, rinse with cold water to crisp
- ½ Bunch Asparagus, seared or grilled and cut into 2 inch pieces on the biased
- 1 Onion: cut into wedges leaving ends on for grilling, searing or roasting
- 2 Cups Almonds, chopped and toasted with your favorite dried spices
- ¼ Baby Bok Choi, cleaned and de-stemmed and cut in half
- 4 –5 each radish, sliced wicked thin, rinsed, chilled and placed in small bowl
- 2 –3 ea Thai Chilis, sliced wicked thin.
Each section of the Salad may be prepared plain or dressed as a salad in itself. Prepare the dressing ahead to save time. Prepare each component as your mise en place and put one big bowl together for family style or individual bowls. The key is in the mise en place.
Individual ingredient items are stated above, combination thoughts and prepared items below.
- Cilantro, Mint & Butter Lettuce: In small bowl combine mint, cilantro and butter lettuce.
- Cucumber: add 1 TBS sesame oil, pinch of salt, mix well, place in small bowl & chill.
- White Onion: Brush with coconut milk, 1 tsp. lime juice, pinch of salt & pepper, grill and chill.
- Asparagus: Brush lightly with sesame oil, salt & pepper and grill or sear for less than a minute. Remove from heat and let cool. Cut into 1 inch pieces at an angle and chill.
- Baby Bok Choi: Heat skillet, add 1 TBS sesame oil, 1 TBS. sliced garlic, pinch of salt and pepper and sauté for 30 seconds then add baby bok Choi and cook for 2 minutes until slightly tender, remove from heat, chill in small bowl.
- Organic Carrot juice Dressing: In medium size bowl add Carrot Juice, ¼ cup coconut vinegar, 1 TBS garlic, 1 tsp. ginger, juice from 2 limes, Thai chili slices, 2 TBS sesame oil, ½ tsp. pepper and 1 TBS chopped Cilantro. Mix well, place in container and chill.
Pour dressing all over before serving. Serve with dressing on the side, sesame oil, soy sauce Ninja Squirrel Sriracha, fresh chili paste and any other condiment you can think of, preferably spicy.
There are two ways to serve this: Deconstructed or Constructed. Deconstructed will allow each person to create their own bowl. Constructed will be a large bowl presented with smaller amounts (if there is any left) for adding on extra. Use high quality lettuces for the base of your bowl to offer fullness and height and build on top of that.
This recipe is part of the Wicked Healthy Takeover: Noodles Man that we are excited to team up on with Whole Foods Market … check out Part Two of the series below!
The recipe for these Wicked Healthy Noodle Bowls, featured in the video, is below. To get more of the recipes featured in the video, check out our other Takeover: Noodles Man recipes: