BRAISED BEETS, TOASTED PISTACHIO, TRUFFLE OIL, SALT & GREEN ONION
November 26, 2014
Beets are so dirty beautiful and bright and earthy and smooth. Like biting into a savory sweet gum drop without the fear of rotting your teeth. Such a gem in the vegetable world, appropriately we’ll pair them with other jewels Like Pistachio and white truffle to add a sophisticated crunch and enhanced earthiness follow by that twang of salt that makes your tongue dance a jig.
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 3–4 medium size beets, wash and clip any loose end, leave skin on
- 1/2 cup pistachios raw
- 1/4 cup water or wine
- 1 tsp white truffle oil or a bunch of drips from the mini bottle
- 1 tsp green onion, sliced thin
- 3/4 tsp maldon salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1, 15 inch piece of tin foil and a pie pan.
- Braise beets skin on: place beets in middle of tin foil and wrap them air tight, place in pie pan and roast @350 for 35 minutes until soft (use skewer)
- Remove from heat, un wrap and allow to cool a few minutes then rinse and peel with hands under cold running water
- Slice beets into clean wedge and set aside for plating
- crush pistachio as much as possible and layer on oil sprayed small sheet pan with a little salt and seasonings and black pepper and toast for 20 minutes in 350 degree oven
Sometimes we’ll add a dash on granulated onion or garlic or chopped thyme for added flavors even a small drizzle of agave to help candy them is good.