SESAME SRIRACHA BEYOND MEAT ~ NINJA STYLE
November 17, 2014
If we don’t we’re gonna go crazy! Gotta feed this creative spark and be wicked smart about what we eat at the same time. Heck if it tastes good we’re going for it! We will discover and enjoy, if it’s not harming anyone and no one is allergic then who the heck cares. We keep in mind that this is indulging and we’re gonna surround the wicked bad, bad dish with tons of good, good things like veggies, steamed Broccoli, steamed rice, fresh herbs and even some edamame dumplings. We’ll also wash it down with a micro brew from down the street.
If this recipe was rated I’d say it’s for the advanced cook. We’re not big fans of frying things in oil allot and i’m sure there is a way to get around it. We didn’t go that route with this one.
This is a Friday Night meal. Date night written all over it! Don’t forget the Ninja Squirrel.
- Prep Time: 60 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 3-4 1x
- 1 Package Beyond Meat strips, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 TBS Ginger, grated
- 1 tsp. Garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Light tamari (wheat free to make gluten free)
- 2 TBS. Sherry wine
- 2 TBS. Sugar
- 2 TBS Ninja Squirrel Sriracha
- 1 tsp green onion, diced
- 1 tsp. Sesame oil
- 1 cup potato starch
- 4 Cups Grape seed oil for frying
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth (not the kind with tomato in it)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 TBS Light tamari
- 2 TBS Coconut vinegar (for variations try Yuzu or Rice vinegars)
- 2 TBS Sesame oil
- 2 TBS Ninja Squirrel Sriracha
- 2 Garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 2 TBS toasted sesame seeds, garnish
- Cilantro, leaves picked for garnish
- 3–4 dried chili peppers for garnish
- ½ cup Water
- 3 TBS Corn starch
- In a large bowl add ginger, garlic, tamari, Sherry wine, sugar and sesame oil and mix well to dissolve sugar / add raw Beyond Meat and toss to coat evenly. Let marinate for 45 minutes (overnight is pretty cool if you can manage) drain well before coating and frying
- Add 1- 2 inches of Oil to a wok or heavy bottomed cast iron, heat until oil is 325 degrees
- In a separate medium sized bowl make the mixture for crisping the Beyond Meat. Add potato starch place several paper towels or clean paper bag on cookie sheet to drain fried items
- Add several pieces of Beyond Meat at time too potato starch, toss to coat evenly. Place coated pieces in hot oil. Fry the pieces in small batches until golden brown on both sides then carefully remove from heat and transfer to paper, drain excess oils, let cool & repeat. Set to the side and prepare the sauce.
- Mix above ingredients in a medium saucepot reserving the water and cornstarch to mix together separately to create the slurry. Bring sauce to a slow boil on medium heat, slowly mix in the slurry and bring to simmering boil. Stir frequently for the next couple minutes allow the flavors to meld and glaze becomes clear and velvety / turn off heat
- Once Beyond Meat is cooked allow oil to cool before removing. Be careful eh.
Finishing step: combining everything
- Heat Wok to medium high, add the sauce and bring to quick boil – turn off heat, add fried Kaarage (Beyond Meat) and toss with sauce to coat
- Platter carefully and top with sesame seeds, cilantro and dried or fresh Thai chili peppers