Dreaming, that first glimmering flicker of thought when the dish arises from space, to be the beginning of a well thought out dish. The beginning of what most cooks call mise en place has begun at this point.
Lets get right down to it! First execute the foundation and then erect the dish with all its components, one as important as the next. Definitely for the more advanced cooks, however, very do-able for anyone willing to take the time and well worth the efforts and oh man will this capture the hearts of anyone you serve it to.
A few step x step pics below.
2 cup Chanterelle mushrooms, bite sized cut (substitute Shiitake or wild mushroom mix
2 cup Crimini mushroom, quartered
1 cup Russet potato, cleaned and 1 “ cube cut
1 cup Carrots, 1” thick rounds
1 cup Celery 1/2 “ moon cut
1 cup Fresh artichoke hearts or canned if need be
1 cup Broccoli, cut into small size florets
1 Onion, large dice
1 TBS Oil (optional) toss veg to coat
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black pepper
Assemble single layer of all vegetables onto sheet pan and roast @400 for 15 minutes to slightly brown. They will still be raw and wicked al dente to the bite. This will give em some color and added flavor for the pot pie filling. You can skip this step if it’s too much for ya.
*Pie dough, Crust: Since we’re not bakers we won’t pretend to be. We followed the Savory Pie Crust Recipe from http://www.veganbaking.net/ found here —> http://www.veganbaking.net/recipes/pies/flaky-pie-crust
This may be done the evening or morning before. Thank you to the lovely and talented Amelia for the help with the entire crust recipe. One of these days I’ll have the patience to bake.
WICKED HEALTHY WHITE GRAVY:
1 Cup Parsnips, cleaned and cubed, boiled
½ Cup garlic, whole, boiled
¼ Cup Cashews, raw, boiled
(Boil all items together- more directions below)
2 cups Organic Soymilk, unsweetened
1 Cup vegetable broth or mushroom broth, not the kind with tomato in it
3 TBS, Sherry wine (if available)
1 TBS Fresh rosemary, de stemmed an chopped
1 TBS Fresh thyme, de stemmed and chopped
1 tsp Salt, Kosher
1 tsp Fresh Sage, minced
1 tsp Black pepper
½ tsp White Pepper
– In medium sauce pot add parsnip, garlic and cashews, add water to cover and bring to boil for 10 minutes or until parsnips, garlic and cashews are soft / remove from heat, strain
– Add cooked mixture to blender and begin blending on low
– Drizzle in vegetable broth, soymilk and sherry
– Switch to Blend on high. Add white pepper, onion pow and salt.
– Stop blending for a second and add fresh herbs and then blend for another 10 seconds only to incorporate herbs. Don’t blend to much and make the gravy green
FINISHING – TIME TO BRING IT ALL HOME:
– in Pie pan lay out pie crust or just use the crust for the top – it’s up to you.
– Add vegetables
– Pour in White gravy, enough to just fill – do not over fill
– Cover with pie crust – design as you wish, crimp the edges cut leaves out of extra dough for garnish, etc.
– Once ready for oven – brush crust with a little melted earth balance and bake until golden brown and lovely.
* We’ve found that a the cast iron skillets work great as presented here.