We’re loving the shift for more plant based options on menus these days and holidays are no exception.
Holiday fusion, manipulating traditional holiday foods and fusing them with wicked healthy, wicked sexy plant pushing techniques is trending upwards. Making something thats not so healthy, way healthier without giving up flavors and satisfying that longing for comfort and tradition while introducing healthful practices. Da Bomb! We call it plant pushing. This recipe can be used to stuff just about any vegetable from hearty squashes to layered onions and earthy mushrooms.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 25 & 20
Total time: about an hour
15/20 Medium size Crimini or white button mushrooms or 6 – 8 each, medium size Zucchini.
— for the stuffing
1 Medium white onion, diced small
1/3 Cup garlic, poached until soft
1 Lg eggplant, roasted.
1 Cup Walnuts, toasted slightly
1 Cup Whole grain bread crumbs
1/4 Bunch flat leaf parsley, diced
2 TBS Just Mayo plant based mayo (or vegan mayonnaise )
1 Tsp Poultry seasonings (ground rosemary, sage, thyme)
1 Tsp black pepper
1 Tsp Kosher Salt
Preheat oven to 375
– Roast eggplant: cut in half place face down on baking sheet and roast for 25-35 minutes until soft to touch, allow to cool, scoop out middle and dice. See below photo.
– Boil garlic in 1 cup water until soft, drain
– Steam fry onion by heating pan until hot adding onion and sautéing with 1 Tbsp. water (No OIL is needed)
– Toast walnuts on small baking sheet for 10 minutes to crisp, cool, set aside
– Take above cooked ingredients (eggplant, onion, garlic, walnuts) and pulse together in food processor or smash really well by hand.
– Add Plant based mayo, whole grain breadcrumbs, parsley and seasonings and mix well.
Vegetables for stuffing:
– 15 -20 Mushrooms, remove stem, shave about ¼ inch from undercarriage and make sure it doesn’t wobble when standing alone.
– 6-8 Zucchini, medium size or Green summer squash: cut in ½ inch cylinder shapes, with melon baller scoop out a good size hole for stuffing. Save scooped portion to brown and use as garnish.